Hide

Marstow, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MARSTOW, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Wormelow, county Hereford, 5 miles S.W. of Ross, its post town and railway station, and the same distance N.E. of Monmouth. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated on Garron Brook, a tributary of the river Wye. It includes the hamlet of Pencraig, and is traversed by the Ross and Monmouth road. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil consists of sand and loam upon a subsoil of red sandstone and rock. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £202 10s. The living is a perpetual curacy with that of Pencoyd annexed, in the diocese of Hereford, value £269, in the patronage of the Vicar of Sellack. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is an ancient stone structure, with a small tower containing two bells. The churchyard is frequently inundated by the overflowing of the river. There is a school for both sexes."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]