"MATHON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, county Worcester, 2 miles W. of Great Malvern, and 7 N.E. of Ledbury. The village, which is small, is situated on Cradley Brook, near Malvern Hills. ... More" [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
See also under Worcestershire
- The transcription of the section for Mathon from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mathon to another place.
- "Mathon was transferred from WOR to HEF in 1897 and from Diocese of Worcester to Diocese of Hereford in 1906."
(Ref: The Parish Registers of Herefordshire, J Harnden, 1987, ISBN 0 9512347 0 6)
The area now known as West Malvern was originally part of Mathon, but was made a separate parish at that time, and remained part of Worcestershire.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mathon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO735458 (Lat/Lon: 52.109886, -2.388365), Mathon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A list of Mathon Rectors and Vicars (1284-1997), taken from a board inside the Church.