Mathon, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"MATHON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, county Worcester, 2 miles W. of Great Malvern, and 7 N.E. of Ledbury. The village, which is small, is situated on Cradley Brook, near Malvern Hills. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. A portion of the land is in hop grounds. Limestone is quarried for burning into lime. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, whose tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £528.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £150, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The parish church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with an embattled tower. The interior of the church contains a pulpit of carved oak and two E. windows with a centre wheel light. There are several memorials of the Worcestershire families on the walls and pavement. There is also the district church of St. James at West Malvern, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £100. The church of St. James is a modern structure. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. Many ancient silver coins were found in this parish in 1760."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]