Hide

Michaelchurch Eskley, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MICHAELCHURCH-ESKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Ewyas-Lacy, county Hereford, 14 miles S.W. of Hereford, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Pontrilas railway station, The village, which is small, is situated on the river Eskley, a branch of the river Munnow, and is wholly agricultural. The soil consists of a sandy loam on a subsoil of Old Red sandstone. The parish is sheltered by the Black mountains, which lie at a distance of about 4 miles. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Tretire, in the diocese of Hereford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £23 per annum. There is a free school for both sexes, supported by R. W. Barton, Esq., whose mansion and park are in the neighbourhood. This parish is in the manor of Ewyas."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]