Moccas, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"MOCCAS, a parish in the hundred of Webtree, county Hereford, 13 miles W. of Hereford, its post town, and S.S.W. of Weobly. The village, which is of small extent, is situated oil the river Wye, and on the Hereford and Hay road. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The soil is of a loamy and sandy nature, with a subsoil of clay and sandstone. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £192 6s. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £186.
The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone edifice, with a small tower containing two bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments and tablets. There is a free school for both sexes, which is entirely supported by Sir V. Cornewall, Bart., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Moccas Court, formerly the seat of the Vaughans, is the principal residence. The park is well stocked with deer."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]