"MORDIFORD, a parish in the hundred of GREYTREE, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (E. S. E.) from Hereford, containing 638 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £ 10. 6. 5,, and in the patronage of E. T. Foley, Esq. The church, dedicated to the Holy Rood, had formerly a wooden spire rising from the centre, (which was taken down in 1814, when a tower was erected at the west end,) whereon had been emblazoned for several previous centuries, a dragon, probably the bearing of Uter Pendragon, anciently of note in this vicinity. A school-house, lately erected on the east side of the churchyard, at an expense of £400, raised by subscription, is endowed with about £5 per annum. The parish, which is situated at the confluence of the rivers Frome, Lug, and Wye, abounds with limestone, in which is found a great variety of fossils; and within its limits is a small portion of St. Ethelbert's camp, on Blackbury hill." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- The transcription of the section for Mordiford from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mordiford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mordiford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO571374 (Lat/Lon: 52.033644, -2.627449), Mordiford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)