Hide

Newton, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"NEWTON, a township in the parish of Clodock, hundred of Ewyas-Lacy, county Hereford, 4 miles W. of Abbey Dore, its post town, and 5 W. of Pontrilas railway station. The township, which is situated on the left bank of the river Escley, is wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Clodock. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a modern structure with a belfry."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]