"NORTON-CANON, a parish in the hundred of GRIMSWORTH, county of HEREFORD, 3 miles (S.S.W.) from Weobley, containing 34? [282 in 1848] inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £5, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. A court leet is annually held here. There is a small school, endowed by a Mr. Barnett with about £8 a year." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Monumental Inscriptions from Norton Canon, St Nicholas, transcribed by Alec Whitfield.
- The transcription of the section for Norton Canon from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Norton Canon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Norton Canon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO382478 (Lat/Lon: 52.125216, -2.90451), Norton Canon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)