Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Ocle Pychard, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Ocle Pychard, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863

Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004

OCLE PYTCHARD.

OCLE PYTCHARD is a parish, distant 8 miles east from Hereford (its post town), 7 west from Bromyard, 5 south-east from Bodenham railway station, in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, Frome deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Hereford and Bromyard turnpike road, the Hereford and Gloucester canal bounding the southern side of the parish. The church of St. Peter is an old stone building, having a square tower with 3 bells, and south porch; the interior consists of nave, chancel, aisle, font, with a window of painted quarry glass in the south side of the chancel. The register dates from 1781. The living is an endowed vicarage, the tithes being commuted at £191 16s. yearly, with residence and 6 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Thomas Hill, Esq., of Rudhall, near Ross; the Rev. Hopkins Hill, B.A., is the incumbent. There is a Free school for boys and girls, supported by voluntary subscriptions. The population in 1861 was 299; the area is 1,133 acres. The soil is clayey. James Leech Harrison, Esq., (lord of the manor), J. Morley, Esq., T. Postlethwaite, Esq., Rev. J. Glossop, and E.N. Mason, Esq., are the landowners. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops, and apples. There are charities of £1 15s.yearly value.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Adams.


OCLE PYTCHARD.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Hill Rev Hopkins, B.A., Vicarage
Stephenson Major William Walter, Ocle court

COMMERCIAL.

Bailey Henry, blacksmith
Bowen Henry, farmer, Upper Castleton
Bufton Charles, bricklayer
Brace Stephen, tailor, Burley gate
Clarke William, farmer, Hillhampton
Gittins John, wheelwright, Burley gate
Hartland Frederick, shopkeeper
Hill Thomas, grocer, Kymin wharf
Hodges George, blacksmith, Burley gate
Hodges James, shopkeeper
Mack Andrew, farmer, Lyvre's Ocle
Moseley George, farmer, Moorhouse
Munn John, farmer, Kymin
Phillips John, farmer, Quickset
Sherrat Alexander, farmer, Holdbury barn
Skerrett John, farmer, Brandiland's end
Taylor Saml., road surveyor, Whitehouse
Vaughan Chas., farmer, Lower Castleton
Wilson Robert, Burley Gate, Burley gt
Wilson Thomas, farmer, Brick house

Letters by foot post arrive from Hereford at 11 a.m.; dispatched thereto by 12 noon. The nearest money order office is at Bromyard

Free School, Mrs. Mary Bull, mistress

[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in December 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]