Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Old Radnor, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Old Radnor, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"OLD RADNOR, (or Maes-hyved Hen) a parish partly in the hundred of Radnor, and partly in that of Wigmore, county Radnor, and also containing some places in the county of Herefordshire, 4 miles from Kington, its post town, and 3 from New Radnor. It is situated on the river Somergill, and contains the townships of Ednal, Kinnerton, Evenjobb, Upper and Lower Harpton, and Walton. It had formerly a castle, which was burnt in 1189 by Rhys ap Gruffydd, and of which there are still traces. There are also remains of a Druidical circle.

The hills of Old Radnor, Stanner, Hanter, and Worzel are worthy of the geologist's attention. Some of the hills consist of trap and greenstone, similar to the rare hypersthene rock of Coruisk in the Isle of Skye. Limestone is abundant, and there is a tram rail from the works to Kington. At Stones, in 1645, Charles I. supped with a yeoman, when retreating before Cromwell.

The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Kinnerton annexed, in the diocese of Hereford, value £195, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells. The roof of the church is carved. In the interior are an old font, a carved-oak screen, and several monuments to the family of Lewis, of Harpton. The parochial charities produce about £59 per annum, of which £40 goes to Hartstonge's school."

"LOWER HARPTON, (or Trey-y-delyn), a township in the parish of Old Radnor, county Hereford, 2 miles S.E. of New Radnor, and 2½ N.W. of Kington. It is situated on the borders of Radnorshire. The hamlet consists of a few farms. Downfield House is the principal residence."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]