Orcop, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ORCOP, a parish in the upper division of Wormelow hundred, county Hereford, 8 miles W. of Ross, its post town, and 6 E. of Pontrilas railway station. The village, which is of irregular form, is situated on a branch of the river Wye, and on the W. side of the Hereford and Monmouth road. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil consists of clay and loam, with a subsoil of sandstone and limestone. The living is a donative in the diocese of Hereford, value £31. The church, dedicated to St. John, is an ancient stone structure, with a wooden tower containing four bells. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. There is a school, which is supported by the Rev. M. H. Miller, M.A. G. Symons, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"BAGWY LLYDIART, a village in the parish of Orcop and hundred of Wormelow, in the county of Hereford, 10 miles S.W. from Hereford."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]