Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Pencombe, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1856

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Pencombe, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1856

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856

Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002

PENCOMBE.

PENCOMBE is a Township, Parish and village, 4 miles west from Bromyard (its post town), 6 west from Dinmore Railway Station, and 11 from Hereford; it is in Broxash Hundred, Bromyard Union, Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church is a very ancient and remarkable building, in the Norman style; the tower is stone; was rebuilt in 1840, and contains 3 bells; it has a nave, chancel, apse, porch an ancient font, and three modern tablets. The living is a rectory, worth £490 yearly, with residence and 119 acres of glebe land, in the gift of John Arkwright, Esq.; the Rev. Henry Barry Domville, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a Sunday School and day school for boys and girls, supported by the rector. The Rectory House is very pleasantly situated about half a mile from the church. The population, in 1851, was 359, and the acreage is 3,955. The soil is clayey; the subsoil partly stone. John Arkwright, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats, and clover. A Court Leet is held at the Court- House once in three years; and by an ancient custom, The Lord of the Manor claims a pair of gilt spurs when a Mayor of Hereford dies while in office.

   GRENDON WARREN is an extra- parochial place, sometimes returned as a parish, and in 1851, were 635 acres, and a population of 38.

   MARSTEN STANNET is a hamlet.

   SPARRINGTON, Maidenhill, Banstone, Upper Egdon, Baldhurst, The Nash, Fishpool, Day House, Stone Lodge, Court House, Maidenhide, Fishpool, Wootton, Upper and Lower Sidnal, Marsh, Lower Marston, Betterley, Hyde, and Durstone, are farms.

GENTRY.
Domvile Rev. Henry Barry, B.A., The Rectory Jordan Mrs. Copyland
TRADERS
Baker Thomas, farmer, Sparrington Kinsey Samuel, farmer, Little Marstone
Banford John, wheelwright Lambert Henry, farmer, Wootton
Brown William, farmer, Stone Lodge Lane Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Grendon Court
Brtten William, farmer, Upper Egdon Lane Richard, farmer, Little Hegdon
Colley James, farmer, Maidenhide Lawrence Charles, beer retailer
Edwards Jonathan, farmer, Banstone Mason Nicholas, farmer, Bitterley Hyde
Edwards William, farmer, Baldhurst Mason Richard, farmer, Pencombe Mill
Goode William, farmer, Pencombe Court Maund George, farmer, Dorston
Griffiths John, farmer, The Nash Parker William, farmer, Sidnall
Grosvenor John, farmer, Fish Pool Perry Thomas, boot and shoemaker
Gurney Richard, blacksmith Seaborn Francis, Victualler, Huntsman Tavern
Herring Philip, farmer, Day House Williams Richard, farmer, Marsh Court
Jones Edwin, farmer, Lower Sidnal Winney John, farmer, Great Marstone

   Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856 in Hereford Central Library]