Pencombe, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1858
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
PENCOMBE is a Parish and village, 4 miles west from Bromyard (its post town), 6 west from Dinmore Railway Station, and 11 from Hereford; it is in Broxash Hundred, Bromyard Union, Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church is a very ancient and remarkable building, in the Norman style; the tower is stone; was rebuilt in 1840, and contains 3 bells; it has a nave, chancel, apse, porch an ancient font, and three modern tablets. The living is a rectory, worth £490 yearly, with residence and 119 acres of glebe land, in the gift of John Arkwright, Esq.; there is a Sunday School and day school for boys and girls, supported by the rector. The Rectory House is very pleasantly situated about half a mile from the church. The population, in 1851, was 359, and the acreage is 3,955. The soil is clayey; the subsoil partly stone. John Arkwright, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats, and clover. A Court Leet is held at the Court-House once in three years; and by an ancient custom, The Lord of the Manor claims a pair of gilt spurs when a Mayor of Hereford dies while in office. At FISH POOLS, the residence of Mr. John Grosvenor, is very large oak, about 32 feet girth, with huge thick branches. It is hollow, and ten sheep have been frequently enclosed in it; it is now used as a store-house for empty casks.
GRENDON WARREN is an extra-parochial place, sometimes returned as a parish, and in which, in 1851, were a population of 38. It contains about 700 acres, and then remains of a chapel, which is now used as an out-building for farming purposes.
SPARRINGTON, Maidenhill, Banstone, Upper Egdon, Baldhurst, The Nash, Fishpool, Day House, Stone Lodge, Court House, Maidenhide, Wootton, Upper and Lower Sidnal, Marsh, Lower Marston, Betterley, Hyde, and Durstone, are farms.
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office
Day School, Mrs. Ann Yapp, mistress
MISCELLANEOUS. Bamford Thomas, wheelwright Mapp William, victualler Gurney Richard, blacksmith and shopkeeper Perry Thomas, shoemaker Jones B. cider retailer Turbill John, blacksmith King Rev. T. Rector Yapp Thomas, wheelwright Lawrence Charles, beer retailer
FARMERS Baker Thomas, farmer, Sparrington Hall Richard, (&parish clerk), The Bank Bamford Thomas Wheelwright Jones Edwin, farmer, Lower Sidnal Brown William, farmer, Stone Lodge Lane Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Grendon Court Brtten William, farmer, Upper Egdon Lane Richard, farmer, Little Hegdon Colley James, farmer, Maidenhide Mason Edward, farmer, Pencombe Mill Edwards Jonathan, farmer, Banstone Mason Nicholas, farmer, Bitterley Hyde Edwards William, farmer, Baldhurst Maund George, farmer, Dorston Goode William, farmer, Pencombe Court Parker William, farmer, Sidnall Griffiths John, farmer, The Nash Williams Richard, farmer, Marsh Court Grosvenor John, farmer, Fish Pool
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858 in Hereford Central Library]