Pencombe, Extract from E.C. Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851
Extract from E.C. Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
PENCOMBE is a parish of considerable extent, situated four miles W.S.W. from Bromyard.
THE CHURCH is an old structure, with square tower. The Rev. H. B. Domville, M.A., Rector; Messrs. John Jones and Thomas Baker, Churchwardens; Mr. Richard Hall, Clerk. Services - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a chapel of ease at Marston. The Rev. James Archibald, curate. Services - 11 a.m.
There is also a National School in the village, Average number of scholars, 30. Mrs. Yapp. Mistress.
CLERGY, TRADES, FARMERS, ETC. Archibald Rev. James, M.A., Marston Lander Farmer, New House Domville Rev. Henry Barry, M.A., rector, Rectory Lawrence Charles, beer retailer and wheelwright Baker Thomas, farmer, Sparrington Mason Nicholas, farmer, Bitterley Banford Samuel, wheelwright Mason Richard, farmer, Pen Mill Colley James, farmer, Maidenhide Maund George, farmer, Dorston Collier Thomas, mason Owen John, tailor Devereux Henry, farmer, Stone Lodge Owen Thomas, farmer Goode William, farmer, Pencombe Court Parker William, farmer, Sidnall Grosvenor John, farmer, Fish Pool Perry Thomas, boot and shoemaker Gurney Richard, blacksmith Pitt Thomas, farmer, sidnall Holder John, farmer, Higville Seaborn Francis, Victualler, Huntsman Tavern Jones Benjamin, cider retailer Turberfield William, blacksmith Jones Edward, farmer, Nash Williams, John, farmer, marsh Court Lambert Henry, farmer, Wootton Winners John, farmer, Marston
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in November 2002
from a copy of Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851 in Hereford Central Library]