Pencoyd, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PENCOYD, a parish in the upper division of Wormelow hundred, county Hereford, 5 miles N.W. of Ross, its post town and railway station, and 9 S. of Hereford. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Ross and Hereford road, and within 1½ mile to the N.W. of the river Wye. The population are wholly agricultural. The soil is of a sandy nature, with a subsoil of sandstone and rock. The rectorial tithes, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £68, besides about 14 acres of rectorial glebe.
The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Marstow, in the diocese of Hereford. The church, dedicated to St. Denis, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing three bells. The church is in a ruinous condition, and out of the S. side of the tower, about half way up, is a sycamore tree growing, and on its summit an elder tree. The churchyard contains a yew tree. The parochial charities produce about 10s. per annum. There are a, day and a free school for both sexes. Sir Hungerford Hoskins, Bart., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]