Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Peterchurch, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1856

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Peterchurch, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1856

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856

Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002

PETERCHURCH.

PETERCHURCH is a township, parish, and village 12 miles wets from Hereford Railway Station, 9 north-west from Pontrillas Station, 7 north-west from Abbey Dore Union, and 9 east from Hay, in Webtree hundred, Hereford county court, Abbey Dore Union and petty sessions, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. It is situated very pleasantly on the River Dore, in the Golden valley, on the Ross and Hat road. The church of St. Peter is a handsome old stone building, with spire and tower, in the Norman style; it has nave, chancel, porch, aisle, font, 6 bells, and several monuments. The living is a vicarage, worth £327 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. W. J. Thomas; the rev. Brathwaite Armitage, M.A., is the incumbent. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and there is a National School for boys and girls. Urishay Castle is the seat of Thomas Delahay, Esq. The remains of Snodhill Castle are in the parish. The population, in 1851 was 730, and the acreage is 5,089. The soil is a rich loam; the subsoil is clay and sandstone. T, Delahay, Esq., is lord of the manor, and, with J. Jones, Esq., is chief landowner. There are charities of about £15 yearly value. The church contains a rude piece of stone sculpture representing a trout with a gold chain round its neck, and which is said to have been taken in the River Dore; and from this circumstance the valley is said to have taken its name of the Golden Valley.

   SNODHILL is 2 miles north-west.

   HINTON, Castle Farm, Crossway, Snodhill, Old Tays, Wilmerstone, Dragon's Pool, Oatley, Wellbrook, Newhouse, Cwm, and Trenant Mill, are places here

GENTRY
Armitage Rev. Brathwaite Jenkins Rev. William J., Urishay
Delahay Thomas, esq., Urishay castle Jones Rev. Morgan, Crossway
TRADERS
Ball Thomas, cider retailer Jones Jeremiah, shoemaker
Barrett Jeremiah, farmer, Hinton Jones Joseph, farmer, Old Tays
Davies John farmer, Castle Farm Maddox James, farmer, Hinton
Davis John, farmer, Hinton Maddox William, miller, Trenant Mill
Davis Thomas, blacksmith Maddy William, farmer, Wilmerston
Davis William, shoemaker Mathews Samuel, farmer, Wellbrook
Dodd William, farmer, New Lodge Mathews Thomas, farmer, Oatley
Eckley John, farmer, Upper Wellbrook Medlicot John, farmer, Hinton Court
Evans William, miller, Snodhill Mill Merrick Charles, blacksmith
Garrett William, farmer Morgan Geo., shopkeeper
Gwynne John, "Bolton Arms" Pearce Thomas, farmer, Snodhill
Hancorn John, grocer & timber merchant Powell James, shopkeeper
Howard John, jun., "Crown" Powell John, carrier
Howard John, sen., beer retailer, wheelwright & parish clerk Price Thomas, shopkeeper
Howell Matthew, farmer, Cwm Serrall John, farmer, Dragon's Pool
Hughes Thomas, shoemaker Williams George, farmer, New House
Jenkins John, chemist & druggist, Crossway Williams William, farmer, Snodhill
Jenkins Thomas, farmer, Snodhill Winter Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Snodhill
Jenkins Wm., draper & grocer, Crossway  

   Letters through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856 in Hereford Central Library]