Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Peterchurch, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1858

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Peterchurch, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1858

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858

Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002

PETERCHURCH.

PETERCHURCH is a parish and populous village, 12 miles west from Hereford railway station, 9 miles north-west from Pontrilas railway, 7 north-west from Abbey Dore Union, and 9 east from Hay, in Webtree Hundred, Hereford County Court, Abbey Dore Union and Petty Sessions, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. It is situated very pleasantly on the river Dore, in the Golden Valley, on the Ross and Hay road. The Church of St. Peter is a handsome old stone building, with spire and tower, in the Norman style; it has nave, chancel, porch, aisle, six bells, and several monuments. The living is a vicarage, worth £327 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. W. J. Thomas. There are chapels for Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans, and there is a National School for boys and girls, which is new and neat building. The population, in 1851, was 730; and the acreage is 5,089. The soil is rich loam; the sub-soil is clay and sandstone: T. Delahay, Esq., is lord of the manor, and, with Sir V. Cornwall, is chief landowner. At Urishay Castle is a disused chapel, and portions of the moat which formerly surrounded the building, which is now a farm house, in the occupation of Mr. Garrett. Snodhill Castle, of which only a few ruinous fragments remain, is mentioned in a record of the time of Henry III., as belonging, in the 30th year of the reign of Edward I., to Robert, Lord Chandos, who was fourth in descent from Robert Chandos, who came with the Conqueror. Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, in the time of Henry VI. Held it in right of his wife Anne, who after his death at Barnet Field, settled it on King Henry VII. Queen Elizabeth granted it to Sir Robert Dudley, Knight of the Garter; it subsequently came into the possession Thomas Prosser, Esq., in whose descendants it still continues. There are charities of about £15 yearly value. The church contains a rude piece of stone sculpture representing a trout with a gold chain round its neck, and which it is said to have been taken in the river Dore.

   SNODHILL, 2 miles north-west, is a hamlet of four farms.

   Letters through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office.

MISCELLANEOUS
Armitage Rev. Braithwaite Jones Rev. Morgan, Crossway
Davis Thomas, Blacksmith Langley Mrs. Frances, Ladies boarding and Day school, The Cottage
Davis William, shoemaker Maddox William, miller, Trenant Mill
Evans William, miller, Snodhill Mill Merrick Charles, Blacksmith
Gwynn John, Bolton Arms Inn Morgan Geo., shopkeeper & wheelwright
Hancorn W., grocer & Timber merchant Page Joseph, Saddler
Howard John, sen., beer retailer Powell James, shopkeeper
Hughes Thomas, shoemaker Powell John, carrier
Jenkins John, chemist & druggist, Crossway Price Thomas, shopkeeper
Jenkins Wm., draper & grocer, Crossway Prosser Thomas, Crown Inn
Jones Jeremiah, shoemaker Winter Elizabeth, shopkeeper
FARMERS
Bishop, John; Lower Willbrook Maddox James
Clelan William, Trenant Maddox W
Davies John, Penland and Hinton Matthews Samuel, Wellbrook
Dodd William, New Lodge Medlicot John, Hinton Court
Garrett William, Urishay Castle Pearce Thomas, Snodhill Court
Goodwin Thomas, Wilmastone Preece Charles & Wm., New Lodge
Howell Matthew Prosser William
Howell R Serrall John Gilbert, Dragon's Pool
Jenkins Thomas, Snodhill Williams George
Jones George Williams William, Snodhill
Lenwarne John  

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858 in Hereford Central Library]