Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Peterchurch, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1885

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Peterchurch, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1885

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1885

Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003

PETERCHURCH.

PETERCHURCH is a parish and village with a station on the Golden Valley Railway, very pleasantly situated on the River Dore, in the Golden Valley, on the Ross and Hay road, 12 miles west from Hereford, 9 north-west from Pontrilas Station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway, 9 east from Hay, in the southern division of the County, Webtree Hundred, Dore Petty Sessional Division and Union, Hereford County Court District, Weobley rural deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese. The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone in the Norman Style, consisting of apsidal chancel, with aisle, nave, porches and a tower with spire containing 8 bells: there are three fine Norman arches, several monuments, two stained windows, and a rude piece of stone sculpture, representing a trout with a golden chain round its neck, said to have been taken from the River Dore; the church was entirely restored in 1874, at a cost of £1,700, and the spire in 1879, at a cost of £500. The register dates from the year 1605. The living is a vicarage, yearly value from tithe rent-charge, with 2½ acres of glebe, £375, without residence, in the gift of Percy Davies esq. Of Porthmaw, Crickhowell, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Thomas Prosser Powell B. A. of St. John's College, Oxford D. L., J. P. Here are Baptist, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The charities are of about £15 yearly value, arising from monies left in 1729 by John Smith, and almshouses, built and endowed by the same benefactor, for 6 aged women with 7s. per week and fuel. St. Peter's Wells, situated in this parish, are reputed to have healing powers. The remains of Snodhill Castle are also in the parish. Urishay Castle, with a disused chapel, 1½ miles south-west is owned by Richard Delahay esq. as a shooting box and farmstead. The representatives of the late Rev. Thomas Prosser, are Lords of the Manor of Snodhill, and the Rev. Sir George Henry Cornewall bart. M.A., J.P. of Moccas Court, Hereford; Richard Delahay esq. And the Rev. Thomas Prosser Powell B.A., D.L., J.P. of Peterchurch, are the chief landowners. The soil is a rich loam; subsoil, clay and sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and Swedes. The area is 5,089 acres: rateable value, £5,267; the population in 1881 was 639.

   SNODHILL, a hamlet in this parish, is 2 miles north-west.

   Parish Clerk.- William Howard

   POST AND MONEY ORDERS OFFICE and savings bank.- Miss Mary Ann Davies, sub-postmistress. Letters through Hereford, arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays. Pontrilas is the nearest telegraph office.

   SCHOOLS.- National, built, with residence for master, in 1857, for 95 children; average attendance, 78; & endowed in 1856 with £90 per year, from monies left in 1729 by John Smith; John Appleyard, master; Mrs. Caroline Appleyard, mistress.

   Goff's British (mixed), built in 1820, for 86 children; average attendance, 64; Mrs. Emma Beard, mistress.

   CARRIERS TO HEREFORD.- Thomas Maddox and William Morris, from Dorstone, Wednesday and Saturday returning same days.

Beard Rev. Joseph [Baptist] Powell Rev. Thomas Prosser B.A., D.L., J.P. [vicar], Hinton Hall
Garratt Charles, Hinton Cottages Williams Thomas Evans, Crossway
Molony Major William Mills, Fairfield  
COMMERCIAL
Allen John, farmer, The Villa Maddox Jessae (Mrs.), miller (water), Trenant Mill
Andrews Jabez, family grocer, tea dealer & provision merchant, Hinton Maddox William, farmer, Barley Knapp
Beaven John, farmer, Rose Cottage Mapp John, coal merchant & shopkeeper
Bishop John, farmer, Lower Wellbrook and Pen-y-Lan Matthews Enoch, farmer, Upper Wellbrook and Lions Hall
Bowyer Elijah, mason Medlicott William, farmer, Mowbage Lane
Bowyer James, farmer and mason, Craft Hall Metcalf Jacob, general dealer
Brown William, farmer, Prospect Morgan Ann (Mrs.), Park Farm
Davies David, farmer, Greenway Morgan George, beer retailer and wheelwright
Davies Thomas, blacksmith, Urishay Pearce James, farmer, Snodhill Court
Davies Thomas, farmer, New Enclosure Phillips Joseph, farmer, The Slade
Davies William, farmer Price Charles, farmer, Oatley Farm
Espener William, estate agent and land surveyor Price Henry, farmer, Urishay Court
Evans James, wheelwright, Urishay Price James, farmer, Dragon's Pool
Garratt William, Boughton Arms Public House Price James, farmer, Old Tays
Goodwin Edwin, farmer, Wilmaston Price James, junior, farmer, New House
Hancorn Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper Pritchard Thomas, blacksmith
Harris John Henry, tailor Prosser Thomas, shoe maker
Howard Robert, machinist & thrashing machine proprietor, New House Prosser William, farmer, Stenchley
Howard William, carpenter Ratcliffe William, farmer, Lower Snodhill
Hughes Isaac, corn dealer & assistant overseer Reece Thomas, farmer, Hinton Court
Jenkins John, grocer and chemist and druggist, Crossway Roach Thomas, Haulier & farmer, High House
Jones Frederick, shoe maker Sherratt William, farmer, Trenant Farm
Jones John Charles, Plough Inn Thomas James, farmer, Snodhill
Jones John, butcher Williams David, farmer, Mowbage
Lancaster Charles, saddler & harness maker; repairs neatly executed; near school Williams George, farmer, Gobbets
Lane Charles Edwin, grocer and draper, general outfitter, iron monger, china & glass dealer, wine and spirit merchant, ale & porter stores Williams Henry, farmer, Urishay Castle
Lewis David, farmer. New Lodge Williams, George, farmer, coal merchant and agent for Hadfield's manures, Wern-Ere
Llewellin George, blacksmith Williams, James, farmer, Pool Farm, Snodhill
Maddox Charles, farmer & beer retailer  

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1885 in Hereford Central Library]