Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Peterchurch, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1863

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Peterchurch, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1863

Extract from Trade Directory of Herefordshire, 1863

Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002

PETERCHURCH.

PETERCHURCH is a parish and village, 12 miles west from Hereford Railway Station, 9 north-west from Pontrilas Station, 7 north-west from Abbey Dore, and 9 east from Hay, in Webtree hundred, Abbey Dore Union and petty sessions, Weobley rural deanery, Hereford county court district, archdeaconry and bishopric. It is situated very pleasantly on the River Dore, in the Golden Valley, on the Ross and Hay road. The church of St. Peter is a handsome old stone building with spire and tower, in the Norman style; it has nave, chancel, porch, aisle, font, 6 bells, and several monuments; it contains a rude piece of stone sculpture, representing a trout with a gold chain round its neck, and which is said to have been taken in the River Dore, and from this circumstance the valley is said to have taken its name of the Golden Valley. The living is vicarage, value £327 yearly, without residence, in the gift of the Rev. --- Williams; the Rev. Brathwaite Armitage, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, is the incumbent, and the Rev. George Morehouse Metcalf, B.A., of Worcester College, Oxon, is curate. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. A very handsome mixed National School (endowed) was erected here in 1856, and there are almshouses for six aged women. Urishay Castle is the seat of Thomas Delahay, Esq. The remains of Snodhill Castle are in the parish. St. Peter's Wells are situated in this parish; the water of these wells is extensively used for the cure of Rheumatism and sore eyes. The population in 1861 was 710; the acreage is 5,080. The soil is a rich loam; the subsoil is clay and sandstone. T. Delahay. Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of about £15 yearly value.

   SNODHILL is two miles north-west.

   HINTON, CASTLE FARM, CROSSWAY, OLD TAYS, WILMERSTONE, DRAGON'S POOL, OATLEY, WELLBROOK, NEWHOUSE, CWM, and TRENANT MILLS are places here.

   Parish Clerk, John Howard.

GENTRY AND CLERGY
Barrett Mr. Jeremiah, High House Metcalf Rev. George Morehouse, B.A. [curate].
Jones, Rev. John Watkin, Crossway Sinclair Rev. David [Baptist]
Jones, Rev. Morgan, M.A. Crossway  
COMMERCIAL
Bishop John, farmer, Lower Wellbrook Jones Jeremiah, shoemaker
Bowyer Jas. Farmer & mason, Greenway Jones John, farmer, Lower House, Snodhill
Cleland William, farmer, Trenant Jones Joseph, farmer, Old Tays
Davies Richard, Crown, & butcher. Lane Charles Edmund, grocer & draper
Davis John, farmer, Pen-y-Lan Lisle James, farmer, New Lodge
Davis John, farmer Maddox William, farmer, Barley Knapp
Davis Robert, blacksmith Mathews Saml. Farmer, Upper Wellbrook
Davis Thomas, blacksmith & postmaster Medlicott James, farmer, Mowbage
Davis William, shoemaker Medlicott John, farmer, Hinton Court
Espener William, general agent Medlicott Thomas, farmer, Benfield, Bredwardine
Evans William, miller, Snodhill mill Merrick Charles, blacksmith
Fowler William. Farmer, The Villa Merrick Charles, blacksmith
Garrett William, Bolton Arms Morgan George, shopkeeper & whlwrght
Garrett William, farmer, Urishay Castle Page Joseph, saddler
Goodwin Thomas, farmer, Wilmerston Pearce Thomas, farmer, Snodhill Court
Griffiths Jonathan, farmer, Hinton Powell James, shopkeeper
Hancorn Wm. Grocer & timber dealer Powell John, carrier
Howard John, sen. Beer retailer & wheelwright Powell Thomas, farmer, Snodhill
Howell Mathew, farmer, Cwm Crwnn Price James, farmer, New House
Howell Richard, farmer, Cwm Pritchard John, shopkeeper
Hughes Thomas, shoemaker Seal George, miller, Trenant Mill
Jenkins Mary (Mrs.) draper and grocer, crossway Serrall John, farmer, Dragon's Pool
Jenkins Thomas, farmer, Poole Farm, Snodhill Williams William, farmer, Park Farm
Jones George, farmer, Oatley  

   National School, John Appleyard, master; Mrs. Caroline Appleyard, mistress.

   Free School (Baptist), Rev. David Sinclair, master.

   Carrier to Hereford - John Powell, Wed. & Sat.

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from an original edition of this 1863 Trade Directory in Hereford Central Library]