Hide

Peterstow, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"PETERSTOW, a parish in the lower division of Wormelow hundred, county Hereford, 2½ miles N.W. of Ross, its post town and railway station, and 12 S. of Hereford. The village, which is small, is situated on the old road from Ross to Hereford. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil consists of a red loam, upon a subsoil of clay and rock. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £403, and the glebe comprises 18 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £290. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a spired tower containing four bells. It was erected in 1066, and is in a good state of preservation. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. There is a free school for both sexes, entirely supported by the Rev. J. Jebb. The governors of Guy's Hospital are lords of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]