Hide

Preston upon Wye, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"PRESTON-UPON-WYE, a parish in the hundred of Webtree, county Hereford, 9 miles W. by N. of Hereford, its post town, and 6 S. of Weobley. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Wye, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is sandy in parts, and in others loamy, upon a subsoil of clay and sandstone. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Blakemere, in the diocese of Hereford, value £250, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient stone edifice, containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a small charity school for both sexes. Sir V. Cornewall, Bart., is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]