Hide

Rowlstone, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ROWLSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Ewyas-Lacy, county Hereford, 13 miles S.W. of Hereford, its post town, and 1½ mile W. of the Pontrilas railway station. The village, which is small, is situated near the Abergavenny railway and the river Munnow, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is of a strong nature, upon a subsoil of red sandstone. Limestone is also obtained in the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy with the perpetual curacy of Llancillo annexed, in the dioc, of Hereford, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. Colonel Scudamore is lord of the manor. There is a National school for both sexes in Wormbridge."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]