Shobdon, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868


1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"SHOBDON, a parish in the hundred of Stretford, county Hereford, 8 miles W. of Leominster, its post town, 6 from Wigmore, and 5 S.E. of Presteign. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Lug, near Mortimer's Cross. The inhabitants are chiefly agricultural. The land is partly in hop grounds. The tithes were commuted for corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1809. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £764. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, has a tower containing two bells. It was partially rebuilt in 1758 by John Viscount Bateman, of whose family it contains several monuments. There is a parochial school for both sexes erected at the expense of Lord Bateman. Shobdon Court is situated in a well wooded park stocked with deer. Lord Bateman is lord of the manor and principal landowner. At Castle Hill are traces of a Roman or Danish fortification."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]