Hide

St Margarets, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ST. MARGARET'S, a parish in the hundred of EwyasLacy, county Hereford, 12 miles W. by S. of Hereford. It is situated on the river Dore, and is intersected by numerous brooks. The surface is hilly and well-wooded. The village is wholly agricultural. From the higher grounds extensive views are obtained. The limestone formation, which intersects the country, is here only one mile wide, and rests upon a bed of marl of great depth. Stone is quarried for various purposes. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value with the perpetual curacy of Michael-Church-Eskley annexed, £170. The church is an ancient structure with pointed windows, and contains at the east end a rood-loft. The parochial charities produce about £17 per annum."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]