STANFORD BISHOP is a parish, 3 miles south-east from Bromyard (its post town), 14 from Hereford Railway, and 10 from Ledbury, in Broxash Hundred, Bromyard Union, Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike road from Bromyard to Malvern. The church is an ancient stone building, with small square tower and two bells; it has nave, aisle, chancel, and porch. The living is a perpetual curacy, commuted at £205 yearly, and 8 acres of glebe land; The Rev. John Booth, B.A., is the incumbent. The population, 1851, was 235, and the acreage is 1,471. The soil is clayey and loamy. The Bishop of Hereford is lord of the manor; and John Freeman, Esq., John Gardner Freeman, Esq., and the Rev. W. Wall, are the chief landowners. The chief crops are hops, wheat, beans and oats.
STANFORD COURT, HYDE, HILL OAK, HAWKINS, WALTONS, HOPE HOUSE, LOWER HOUSE, NEW HOUSE, WOOLNER HILL, SNIPE'S NEST, and BOYCE, are places here.
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.
| Hill James, blacksmith, New House || Mitton James, shopkeeper, Snipe's Nest |
| Hill James, Hyde || Page Thomas, Stanford Court |
| Hill Mrs., Hill Oak || Page Wm., Lower House |
| Jenkins John, Woolner Hill || Philpott James, Hawkins |
| Page Richard, Boyce || Tomkins Richard, Hope House |