STANFORD BISHOP is a parish, consisting entirely of scattered dwellings, on the road from Bromyard to Malvern, on the Worcestershire Border, 3 miles south-east from Bromyard Station on the Worcester and Leominster section of the Great Western Railway, 14 north-east from Hereford and 10 north from Ledbury, in the Northern division of the county, Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty Sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Bromyard and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. James, standing on an eminence in the centre of the parish, is a building of stone in the Early English style, with some portions of Norman date, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a large but low western tower containing 2 bells: the chancel was restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1876 and the church was restored in 1884-5, at a cost of about £600, under the direction of Mr. T. Nicholson, diocesan architect, of Hereford, and reopened 7th August, 1885: the work of restoration included the rebuilding of the nave and south porch, the opening of the tower arch and the repair of the tower itself and the general re-flooring of the church; on the north side of the church is a huge yew tree supposed to be over 1,000 years old, and which, at 6 feet from the ground, is 24 feet in circumference. The register dates from 1699. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with that of Linley Green, net yearly value £185, including 34 acres of glebe, and residence, which lies in Wales, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1910 by the Rev. Charles Joseph Kahn M.A. of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge. The Vicarage House, situated about one mile from the church was built in 1903, at a cost of £1,400. Linley Green Mission Church, erected in 1893, is a structure of brick containing chancel, nave, north entrance, south vestry and western turret containing 1 bell. The site was a gift of the rev. William Martin, the present vicar of Bromyard. The communion table belonged to the church of Tedstone Delamere. A portion of the ecclesiastical parish of Bromyard was attached by an order in Council to the parish of Stanford Bishop, and this portion of the township of Linton being part of the ecclesiastical parish of Bromyard is now legally attached to the parish of Stanford Bishop; the parish of Stanford Bishop was originally a chapelry of Bromyard: by this attachment the living of Stanford Bishop, which was only worth £75 per annum, has now become augmented by the sum of £120 per annum granted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners out of part of the rectorial tithes and lands of Bromyard. The Church Hall was built in 1903 at a cost of £167. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. William Theodore Barneby esq. of Saltmarshe Castle, the Trustees of the Worcester Municipal Charities, and Mrs. Childe-Freeman, of Cheltenham, and John Kane esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, clay and rock. The chief crops are hops, apples and pears, wheat, beans and oats. Cider and perry are made here. The area is 1,514 acres; rateable value, £1,536; the population in 1911 was 189 in civil and 334 in the ecclesiastical parish (which comprises parts of Stanford Bishop and Linton civil parishes).
Parish Clerk.- Herbert Summers.
Letters from Worcester, via Bringstye, arrive at 8 a.m. & via Bromyard at 1 p.m.; dispatched at 11.40 a.m. and at 4.20 p.m. Acton Beauchamp is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 1¼ miles distant.
Pillar letter boxes.-Whitehall, cleared at 4.10 p.m. & Vicarage, cleared at 11.40 a.m. & 4.20 p.m.
The children of this parish attend the school at Acton Beauchamp.
| Kahn Rev. Charles Joseph M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage |
| Badham Jn., shoe maker Woodford Common || Luckins John, Cottage farmer, The Leys |
| Buckle Jn. Farmer & hop grower, Hyde. || Morris Thomas. carpenter |
| Bydawell Thomas, farmer, Hill Oak || Page Major Benjamin, beer & cider retailer, farmer & hop grower, Woodford Common |
| Evans William, farmer || Potter John E., farmer, Stanford Court |
| Green Leonard, farmer || Powell John Hy. Farmer Hope House |
| Hill William, farmer, Three Springs || Pullen George, farmer, Boyce Farm |
| Luckins Henry, Cottage farmer || Rowberry Henry, farmer |