Hide

Stretford, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"STRETFORD, a parish in the hundred of Stretford, county Hereford, 4½ miles S.W. of Leominster, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Weobley. The village is situated on a branch of the river Lug and the Roman way Watling Street. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £94. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has some stained windows, and tombs and effigies. There is also a mysterious chamber, the use of which is unknown. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. A. H. Wall, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]