Hide

Stretton Grandsome, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"STRETTON-GRANDSOME, a parish in the hundred of Radlow, county Hereford, 8 miles N.W. of Ledbury, its post town. The village is on the river Frome and the Ledbury and Hereford canal. There is a camp near the Roman way to Kenchester. Hops are grown. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Ashperton annexed, in the diocese of Hereford, value £479. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum, of which £10 go to Lady Langley's school."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]