Stretton Grandison, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863
Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004
STRETTON GRANDISON, or GRANDSOME is a parish, 8 miles north-west from Ledbury, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, rural deanery of South Frome, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church of St. Lawrence is in the Decorated style; at the east end is a beautiful specimen of stained glass, the representation occupying the centre of the window is the Crucifixion; there are also two other handsomely stained glass windows in the chancel; it has a porch, nave, chancel, and square embattled tower with spire containing 5 bells. The living is a vicarage, to which the chapelry of Ashperton is attached, the whole value of which is £600; with residence; the Rev. John Hopton, M.A., of Canon Frome Court is the patron; the Rev. John Buckle, M.A., of St. Mary's Hall, Oxford, is the vicar, and the Rev. Wm. Buckle, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford, is the curate. The principal landowner is Mrs. Catherine Poole, of Homend, a neat and handsome mansion, situated in a delightful park. There is a school, with small endowments. The population in 1861 was 130; the acreage is 1,080. In Ledbury county court district.
HOMEND, Stretton Court, New House, Townend and Whitewick, are places here.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Brook.
| Buckle Rev. William, M.A. [curate]|| Poole Mrs. Catherine, Homend|
| Caldwell Peter, bailiff to the Rev. John Hopton, M.A. Canon Frome court|
Errington William, farmer, Eggleton
Holmes Elizth. (Mrs.) farmer, Townend
| Morris John, farmer, Whitewick|
Peart Joseph, shopkeeper
Pitt Stephen, jun. farmer, Stretton court
Pitt William, farmer, New house
Letters through Ledbury which is the nearest money order office
[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in June 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]