Hide

Stretton Sugwas, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"STRETTON SUGWAS, a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, county Hereford, 4 miles N.W. of Hereford, its post town. The village is on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Hay and Kington, and on the Roman way to Kenchester. It is celebrated for its cider and perry. Bishop Cantilupe formerly resided at Sugwas Pool, in this parish, but the palace has long been converted into a farmhouse. The chapel in connection with it was taken down in 1792. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £184. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. Stretton Court is the principal residence."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]