Hide

Sutton St Nicholas, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"SUTTON ST. NICHOLAS, a parish in the hundred of Broxash, county Hereford, 4 miles N. of Hereford, its post town, and 10 S.E. of Leominster. The village is situated on the river Lug. The parish is intersected by the Hereford and Leominster and Hereford and Bromyard turnpike roads. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £195. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. There is an endowed mixed school. The Independents have a chapel. Sutton Court is the principal residence. T. Evans, Esq., is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]