Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Tedstone Delamere, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Tedstone Delamere, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863

Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004

TEDSTONE DELAMERE.

TEDSTONE DELAMERE is a parish, situated 4 miles north-east from Bromyard (its post town), 13 north-west from Worcester railway station, and 18 north-east from Hereford; it is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church of St. James is an old dilapidated building, partly Norman ad partly in the Decorated style state, with square tower containing 2 bells, and consists of nave, chancel, porch, organ, and font. The living is a rectory, value £230 yearly, with residence, and 40 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Brasenose College, Oxford; the Rev. Gregory Smith, M.A., is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 205; the acreage is 1,677. The soil is red marl. James Lane Wight, Esq.; Stuart Knill, Esq., and Slade Baker, Esq., are the chief landowners. The chief crops are hops, apples, and wheat. The principal residence in this parish is the seat of James Lane Wight, Esq., of Tedstone Court, adjoining the church.

HILL CROSS, Hedgehouse, Thrift, Gatehouse, Winley, Lamb Green, Horner's Mill, Wood Hill, Lay Farm, Tipton Hall, Wooden End, and Linehouse are places here.

Parish Clerk, Richard Powell.


TEDSTONE DELAMERE.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Smith Rev. Gregory, M.A., Rectory
Wight James Lane, esq. Tedstone court

COMMERCIAL.

Aingell Richard, farmer, Winley
Butler Thomas, farmer, Hill cross
Evans Thomas, farmer, Ladywood
Farmer John, farmer, Wood hill
Gore James Henry, farmer, The Thrift
Hemming Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Hedgeho
Hodges James, carpenter
Jones Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Lay farm
Moore John, farmer, Linehouse
Moseley Thomas, miller, Horner's mill
Pearce Thomas, farmer, Wooden end
Powell Richard, blacksmith
Ropier George, farmer, New house
Ward James Farmer, Tipton hall
Wilson George farmer, Lamb green
Woodhouse John, carrier, Gatehouse

Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office

CARRIER.- John Woodhouse, to Tenbury tuesday; to Kidderminster, thursday; to Worcester, sat; returning same days

[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in November 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]