Tedstone Wafer, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863
Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004
TEDSTONE WAFER is a small parish, 4½ miles north-east from Bromyard (its post town), and 14 from Worcester railway station, in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, Frome deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church is a very small old building, not now used for divine service; a new building has recently been erected, at the expense of E. Higginson Esq., but is only licensed for public worship; it is a handsome stone edifice, with bell turret, centre aisle, and chancel. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Edvin Loach, value £80 yearly, and half an acre of glebe land, in the gift of Edmund Higginson, Esq. Here is a Free school for boys and girls. The population in 1861 was 74; the acreage is 709. The soil is clayey and limy. Edmund Higginson, Esq., is lord of the manor; and owner of the parish. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats, barley and hops.
CUTNELL is a farm.
Parish Clerk, John Benbow.
| Berry Thomas, wheelwright|
Drew Edward, farmer, Tedstone court
| Drew William, farmer, Cutnell|
Johnson William, farmer, The Green
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office
Free School, William Barnett, master
[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in December 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]