Titley, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"TITLEY, a parish in the hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 3 miles N.E. of Kington, and 3½ from Presteign. It is a station on the Kington branch of the Great Western railway. The village is situated on the river Arrow, near Wapley camp. There was formerly a Benedictine priory here, founded as a cell to Tyrone Abbey in France, but given by Henry V. to Winchester College. There are no vestiges of the priory except the moat that encompassed it. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £231, in the patronage of Winchester College. The church, rebuilt in the last century, has a stained window, and tombs of the Harley; of Eywood. There is a school for both sexes, endowed with the interest of £4,000, bequeathed by Elizabeth Greenly, of Titley Court, the principal residence."
"WAPLEY, a hill near Titley, in the parish of Titley, with a fine view, county Hereford, 2½ miles S.E. of Presteign. It has traces of Caractacus' camp."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]