Upper Sapey, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863
Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004
UPPER SAPEY is a scattered parish, 6½ miles north from Bromyard (its post town), and 8 east from Tenbury, in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, Frome deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on Sapey Brook, and on the Hereford and Stourport turnpike road. The church of St. Michael is an old stone building, in the Norman style, with small square tower and 2 bells; the interior consists of nave, chancel, font, and porch. The living is a rectory, value £258 yearly, with residence, and 46 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir Thomas Edward Winnington, Bart.; the Rev. Philip Onslow, M.A., is the rector. There is an Endowed school of £10 10s. per annum. The population in 1861 was 357; the acreage is 2,190. The soil is clayey and loamy. Edmund Higginson, Esq.; Thomas Newman, Esq.; and Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart., are the chief landowners. There are charities of £21 yearly value.
CHURCH HOUSE, High House, Kintal, Dudshill, Yearstone, Adam's Wood, Waters, Brook, Crieftains, and Lea are places here.
Parish Clerk, William Watkins.
| Newman Thomas, esq., High house|| Onslow Rev. Philip, M.A., Rectory|
| Aldridge Joseph, farmer, Kintal|
Amphlett Wm., carpenter, Sapey common
Dunderdale John, farmer, Dudshill court
Farmer Joseph, farmer, Field house
Holder Thomas, farmer, Yearstone
Holder William, farmer, Brook farm
Kitchen John, carpenter
| Lane James, blacksmith|
Merrick Samuel, farmer, Adam's wood
Morris Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Church ho
Perkins Peregrine, carpenter
Rix John, farmer, Lea farm
Travel Richd., shopkeeper, Sapey common
Waldron Samuel, farmer, Waters farm
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office
Endowed School, Miss Ann Tombs, mistress
[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in December 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]