Hide

Upton Bishop, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"UPTON BISHOP, a parish in the hundred of Greytree, county Hereford, 4 miles N.E. of Ross, its post town, and 5½ W. of Newent. The village is situated on the Upper Road from Gloucester to Hereford. The soil consists of red loam, with a subsoil of clay and rock. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £500, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum, £5 of which go to a school. There are a National school and a free school. The Manor House is the principal residence. Mrs. Scudamore is lady of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]