"VOWCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of WEBTREE, county of HEREFORD, 11 miles (W. by S.) from Hereford, containing, with the townships of Monington and Straddle, 367 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £5. 9., and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Putson Major in the Cathedral Church of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. In the neighbourhood is an ancient square encampment." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- The transcription of the section for Vowchurch from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Vowchurch to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Vowchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO366364 (Lat/Lon: 52.022603, -2.924981), Vowchurch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A list of Incumbents of St Bartholomew's Church, 1560-1993, with a note on Thomas BOWKER and Skeffington Hume DODGSON.