Vowchurch, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"VOWCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of Webtree, county Hereford, 9 miles S.W. of Hereford, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Pontrilas railway station. The village is situated in the Golden Valley, on the river Dore, a trout stream. The parish includes the hamlets of Monington and Straddle, and has a camp. The soil is sandy and loamy, with a subsoil of clay and rock. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £232, in the patronage of the Prebend of Putson Major, in the Cathedral of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The parochial charities produce about £3 10s. per annum. There is a school for both sexes. W. S. Wood, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"MONINGTON, a township in the parish of Vowchurch, hundred of Webtree, county Hereford, 9 miles S.W. of Hereford."
"STRADDLE, a village in the parish of Vowchurch, county Hereford, 7 miles S.W. of Hereford."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]