Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Wacton, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1891

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Wacton, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1891

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1891

Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2003

WACTON.

WACTON is a parish about a mile west from the Leominster and Tenbury main road, 3 miles north-west from Bromyard station, on the Worcester and Leominster section of the Great Western railway, 8 east from Leominster and 9 south from Tenbury, in the northern division of the county, Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Frome (north division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. This parish was united to Bredenbury, 10 August, 1875, for ecclesiastical purposes only, under the Act, 1 and 2 Vict. c. 106. The old church (name unknown) was an ancient building of stone, and stood near Wacton Court; the fabric was pulled down in 1881, but the boundary walls still remain to protect the site; the church of St. Andrew, at Bredenbury, erected in 1876-7, now serves for both places. The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1663; burials took place at Bromyard. The living, formerly a chapelry to Bromyard, is now a vicarage annexed to Bredenbury, average tithe rent-charge £97, joint net yearly value £170, in the gift of W. Henry Barneby esq. of Bredenbury, and held since 1880 by the Rev. Charles Bridges M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, who resides at Bredenbury. The Oddfellows have a lodge, No. 6,396 here, called "Bredenbury Court Lodge," and hold meetings at the New inn. Lady Henry Somerset is lady of the manor. The representatives of the late Richard Allison esq. W. Henry Barneby esq. D.L., J.P. of Bredenbury Court, Martin Curtler esq. and Mr. Edward Timings are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil clay and rock. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats, hops, and apples. Cider is made here. The area is 1,002 acres; rateable value £989; the population in 1881 was 102.

BUTTERLEY, formerly a hamlet of Edvin Ralph, is now attached to Wacton under the Divided Parishes Act; it contains 600 acres.

The Bredenbury Post, M.O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. James Addyman. Postmaster. Letters through Worcester, via Bromyard & Bredenbury, arrive 8.15 a.m. & dispatched at 6 p.m.

The children of this place attend the district school at Bredenbury.


ULLINGSWICK.

COMMERCIAL.

Blackler John, farm bailiff to W. Henry Barneby esq. Little Wacton
Compton William, miller (water), Butterley Mill
Charles Thomas, farmer, Great Wacton
Drew Thomas, farmer, Little Wacton
Jones Benjamin, farmer, Low. Butterley
New Inn Hotel & Grocery & Provision Co. (James Addyman, manager)
Timings Edward, farmer & landowner, Wacton Court
Thomas William & Thomas, farmers, Butterley Court
Tomkins Thos. Wheelwright & carpenter

[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in November 2003
from a personal copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1891]