Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Wacton, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1922

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Wacton, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1922

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1922

Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2003

WACTON.

WACTON is a parish about a mile west from the Leominster and Bromyard main road, 4 miles north-west from Bromyard station, 1½ from Rowden Mill station, 1¾ from Fencote station on the Worcester and Leominster section of the Great Western railway, 7 east from Leominster and 8 south from Tenbury, in the Leominster division of the county. Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Bromyard and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. This parish was united to Bredenbury, 10 August, 1875, for ecclesiastical purposes only. The old church (name unknown) was an ancient building of stone, and stood near Wacton Court; the fabric was pulled down in 1881, but the boundary walls still remain to protect the site; the church of St. Andrew at Bredenbury, erected in 1876-7, now serves for both places. The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1663; burials took place at Bromyard. The living, formerly a chapelry to Bromyard, is now a perpetual curacy annexed to Bredenbury, joint net yearly value £260, including 18 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs. Barneby, and held since 1916 by the Rev. Lewis Harold Nicholl M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who resides at Bredenbury. The trustees of the late Lady Henry Somerset are lords of the manor. Capt. Francis Wigley Greswolde-Williams is the chief landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil clay and rock. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats, hops, and apples. Cider is made here. The area is 1,217 acres; rateable value £1,141; the population in 1911 was 121, including Butterley.

Post, M.O. & T. Office. Bredenbury. Frederick Ernest Edwards, sub-postmaster Letters through Worcester, via Bromyard

The children of this place attend the Bredenbury-Grendon Bishop Council school


ULLINGSWICK.

COMMERCIAL.

Armishaw John, farmer, Wacton Court
Evans Thomas, farmer, Great Wacton
Higgins Lewis Lewin, farmer New Wacton
New Inn hotel (Frederick Ernest Edwards, manager)
St. Andrew Lodge of Oddfellows No. 6,396 (Wm. Clements, sec), New Inn
Williams John, farmer, Little Wacton

[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in November 2003
from a personal copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1922]