Wacton, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863
Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004
WACTON is a parish distant about 4 miles west from Bromyard (its postal town), 8 from Leominster, and 9 south from Tenbury in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, Frome deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric, situated about 1 mile from the Leominster and Tenbury turnpike road. The church (name unknown) is an old stone building, with small tower and 2 bells; it has a nave, aisle, chancel, and porch. The register dates from 1750. The living, is a perpetual curacy, value £70 yearly, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford; the Rev John Booth, B.A., of Queens College, Cambridge is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 123; The areage is 1,002. The soil is clayey. Earl Somers is lord of the manor; and Richard Allson, Esq., Edmund Higginson, Esq., and Mr. Richard Timings, are the chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat, beans, and oats. Wacton is considered by some to be a chapelry of Bromyard.
UPPER HORTON and Wooding are farms.
Parish Clerk, Richard Tomkins.
| James Anthony, farmer, The Wells|
Jones John, farmer, Little Wacton
Owens George, farmer, Upper Horton
| Perkins Samuel, farmer, Great Wacton|
Watkins Philip, New Inn
Timings Richard, farmer,, Wacton Court
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.
[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in February 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]