"NEWTON (WELCH), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WORMELOW, county of HEREFORD, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Monmouth, containing 220 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £4. 10., endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of W. H. Jenkins, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Transcription of section of E C Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire for Welsh Newton in 1851, by Richard Lane.
- Transcription of sections of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire for Welsh Newton in 1856, by Richard Lane.
- Transcription of sections of Cassey's Directory of Herefordshire for Welsh Newton in 1858, by Richard Lane.
- Transcription of sections of Trade Directory of Herefordshire for Welsh Newton in 1862, 1863, by Richard Lane.
- Transcription of sections of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire for Welsh Newton in 1879, 1905, 1913, 1929, by Richard Lane.
- The transcription of the section for Newton Welsh from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Welsh Newton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Welsh Newton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO499181 (Lat/Lon: 51.859319, -2.728472), Welsh Newton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)