WELSH NEWTON is a township, parish and village, 8 miles south-west from Ross railway Station, 3½ north from Monmouth, 14½ south from Hereford, and 129 from London, in Wormelow Hundred, Monmouth Union, Harewood's End Petty Sessional Division, Hereford Archdeaconry and Bishopric; it is situated on the Hereford and Monmouth road, on the borders of Monmouthshire, and part of the parish is in that County. The church is a plain old stone building, with small tower, in the Norman style, in good repair; it has nave, porch, chancel, font, and two bells. The living is a rectory, worth £47 yearly; Rev. H. Prosser is the incumbent. There is chapel for Wesleyans on Newton Common. The population, in 1851, was 248; and the acreage is 1,821. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clay and rock.
NEWTON COMMON, Catlow, Pembridge Castle, Great House, Summer House, Mill Farm, Tremahaid, and Gwenherion, are places here.
Letters through Monmouth, which is the nearest money order office.
| Davis James, stonemason, Newton Common || Powell Edward, Elephant and Castle Inn
| Dyser Charles, esq., Newton Lodge || Silvey James, boot & shoe maker and Parish Clerk |
| George Timothy, boot & shoe maker || Wells John, blacksmith |
| Palmer John, mason || Williams James, carpenter and shopkeeper |
| Palmer John, Red Lion Inn
| Bartrum John || Kettle Jonas, Pembridge Castle |
| Bills George, Tremahaid || Lane Henry, Gwenherion |
| Davis John || Lock George, Greathouse |
| Evans William, Mill Farm || Wheeler Mrs. Jane, Catlow Hill |
| Frances Thomas || Wilcox Daniel, Summer House |