Welsh Newton, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1879
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
WELSH NEWTON is a parish and village 8 South West from Ross, 3½ from Monmouth and 14½ South from Hereford and 129 from London, in Wormelow Hundred, Monmouth Union and County Court District, Harewood End Petty Sessional Division, Archenfield Rural deanery and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese, situated on the Hereford and Monmouth Road, on the borders of Monmouthshire, and part of the parish is in that County. The Church of St. Mary is a plain old stone building: it has chancel, nave and small tower in the Norman style, with two bells and porch. The register dates from [ ]. The living is rectory (now vacant), yearly value £47, in the gift of Sir J. R. Bailey, bart. M.P. There is a chapel for Wesleyans on Newton Common. Pembridge Castle, built prior to the thirteenth century, is now a farm house. Sir Joseph Russell Bailey, Bart., M.P. is Lord of the Manor and Principle Landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and rock; the chief crops are wheat, barley, and turnips. The area is 1,821 acres, rateable value, £1,472; and the population in 1871 was 247.
Parish Clerk.- Amos Hughes
Letters arrive from Monmouth at 9 a.m.: dispatched at 5.50 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Monmouth.
National School.- Miss Mary Ann Jones, Mistress
Collins Mrs., Newton Lodge Whichurch George Parker, Callow Hill COMMERCIAL Bartrem John, farmer, Warn Lock George, farmer, Greathouse Dampier Bros. Farmers, Pembridge Castle Lock Thomas, farmer, Mill Farm Davis John, farmer, Trefassy Meredith Ann Mrs., grocer and provision dealer Evans William, farmer, Gwenherion Payne Edward, farmer, Tremahard Francis Richard, farmer Roberts George, blacksmith Hale James, farmer
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879 in Hereford Central Library]