WELSH NEWTON is a Parish on the Hereford and Monmouth road, 3½ miles north from Monmouth Station, on the Great Western Railway and 8 south west from Ross, in the Southern Division of the county, Wormelow Hundred, Monmouth union and county court district, Harewood End Petty Sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The Parish extends in to Monmouthshire. The church of St. Mary is a plain but ancient building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel nave, south porch and a small western tower containing 2 bells: the stained east window was presented by Mrs. Marriot, in 1870, and there are memorial windows to Mrs. Tylor, of Callow Hill, who died in 1881. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1798; marriages, 1758; burials, 1800. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £55, in the gift of Lord Glanusk; the Rev. George Frederick Powys M.A., vicar of Garway, is curate in charge. There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Newton Common. Pembridge Castle, built prior to the 13th century, is now a farmhouse. Lord Glanusk, of Glanusk Park, Crickhowell, Brecon, is Lord of the Manor and chief landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and fruit. The area is 1,493 acres; rateable value, £1.066; population in 1901, 184.
Parish Clerk and Assistant Overseer.- Alfred Matthews.
Letters arrive from Monmouth at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Monmouth, 3½ miles distant.
Public Elementary School, built with residence for mistress in 1875, for 104 children; average attendance 69; Mrs. Jane Lewis, mistress
| Kemeys-Tynte Mrs. The Callow || Morgan John, Pembridge House |
| Haile Richard, farmer, Trefassy || Matthews Alfred, blacksmith, farmer, thrashing machine owner, assistant overseer & Parish Clerk |
| Hodges Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper || Morgan Alfred, farmer, Mill Farm |
| Jones Henry & James, farmers, Gwenherion || Pritchard James, farmer, Elephant & castle |
| Jones James Morgan, farmer, Pembridge Castle || Roberts Martin, farmer, St. Woolstone |
| Kirby John, farmer, Tremahaid || Rosser Thomas, farmer, Newton Farm |
| Lane David, farmer, Glascwm || Scrivens William & John, farmers, Callow Hill Farm |
| Lewis Jane (Mrs.), schoolmistress || |