WELSH NEWTON is a parish on the Hereford and Monmouth Road, 3½ miles north from Monmouth Station on the great Western Railway and 8 south-west from Ross, in the Southern division of the county, Wormelow hundred, Monmouth union and county court district, Harewood End petty Sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The parish extends into Monmouthshire. The church of St. Mary is a plain but ancient building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south-porch and a small western tower containing 2 bells: the stained east window was presented by Mrs. Marriot, in 1879, and there are memorial windows to Mrs. Tylor, of Callow Hill, who died in 1881. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1798; marriages, 1758; burials, 1800. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £88, in the gift of F. W. Mander esq., and is at present (1913) vacant. There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Newton Common. Pembridge castle, built prior to the 13th century, is now a farmhouse. This historic castle, built in the reign of Henry I. And situated in this parish, is undergoing restoration and reparation at the hands of Mr. Ernest Davies M. S. A., architect, of Hereford, having recently been purchased by dr. Hedley Bartlett, physician and barrister-at-law, and is being put back to its original state, and the towers rebuilding and a general repair taking place; it is best known as the home for many years of the priest and martyr Father John Kemble, whose tomb pilgrims still visit in the churchyard; he died in 1679, and his hand is still preserved in a beautiful shrine at Hereford. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and fruit. The area is 1,493 acres; rateable value, £1.077; population in 1911, 161.
Assistant Overseer.- Alfred Matthews.
Letters arrive from Monmouth at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Llangarron, 3 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, Newton Common, cleared at 5.45 p.m., weekdays only.
Public Elementary School, built, with residence for mistress, in 1875, for 104 children; average attendance, 60. Mrs. Jane Lewis, mistress.
| Kemeys-Tynte Mrs. The Callow || |
| Haile Henry, farmer, Trefassy || Miles James, farmer, St. Woolstone |
| Hodges Catherine (Miss), shopkeeper || Morgan Alfred, farmer, Mill Farm |
| Jones Henry & James, farmers, Gwenherion || Pritchard James, farmer, Elephant & Castle |
| Jones Thomas Morgan, farmer, Pembridge castle || Rosser Thomas, farmer, Newton Farm |
| Lane David, farmer, Glascwm || Scrivens William and John, farmers, Callow Hill. |
| Matthews Alfred, blacksmith, farmer, & assistant overseer, Tremahaid || Scrivens William, farmer, New Lodge |