Welsh Newton, Extract from E.C. Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851
Extract from E.C. Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
WELSH NEWTON is a Parish, nine miles from Ross, and three from Monmouth, a potion of the Parish situated belonging to the latter County.
The Church, prettily situated in a valley, is a stone edifice, with porch, small steeple, and tower, that contains two bells. The Rev. J. Prosser, Rector; the Rev. B. Bourne, Curate; Mr. S. James, Clerk. Services - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. alternately.
The Wesleyan Chapel is a stone building, situated on the Common, The Ministers of which are various. Services - 10.30 a.m.
Day and Sunday School, The Common. Supported by subscription. Mr. James Matthews, Master; Sarah Matthews, Mistress
TRADES, FARMERS, ETC. Bartrum John, farmer Lane Henry, farmer, Gwenherion Bills George, farmer, Tremahaid Lock George, farmer, Great House Davis James, stone mason, Newton Common Palmer John, mason Davis John, farmer Palmer John, victualler, Red Lion Dyser Charles, farmer, Newton Common Powell Edward, victualler, Elephant and Castle Evans William, farmer, Mill Farm Wells Thomas, blacksmith Frances Thomas, farmer Wheeler Mrs. Jane, farmer, Catlow Hill George Timothy, shoemaker Willcox Daniel, farmer, Summer House James Silvey, shoemaker, and Parish Clerk Williams James, carpenter and shopkeeper Kettle Jonas, farmer, Pembridge Castle
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in November 2002
from a copy of Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851 in Hereford Central Library]