Welsh Newton, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1862
Extract from Trade Directory of Herefordshire, 1862Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
WELSH NEWTON is a parish and village, about 8 miles from Ross, 4 from Monmouth, and 15 from Hereford, on the road between the latter places - part of the parish being in Monmouth. The church is a plain stone building, with a small tower and two bells; population in 1851, was 248. CATLOW, NEWTON, GWENHERION, TREMAHOID, are places here
Gentry Dyser Charles, Esq., Newton Lodge Trades and Profession Bartrum John, farmer Lock George, farmer, Pembridge House Cecil John, farmer, Parkside Farm Nelmes William, farmer, Pembridge Castle Davis James, stonemason, Newton Lodge Powell Edward, "Elephant and Castle Inn" Davis John, carpenter Scudamore Henry, Gwenherion Evans William, farmer, Mill Farm Silvester James, shoemaker and parish clerk Francis Thomas, farmer Symonds William, "Red Lion Inn" George Timothy, boot and shoe maker Taylor Michael, farmer, Tremahaid Gunter Eleanor, farmer, Callow Hill Taylor Thomas, The Hill Farm Kettle Thomas, farmer, Penblaith Wells John, blacksmith
Letters through Monmouth, which is the nearest money order office.
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from an original edition of this 1862 Trade Directory in Hereford Central Library]