Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Weston Beggard, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Weston Beggard, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863

Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004

WESTON BEGGARD.

WESTON BEGGARD is a parish and straggling village, 6 miles north-east from Hereford and 9 north-west from Ledbury, situated to the left of the high road leading from Hereford to Worcester, in the hundred of Radlow, Hereford union, archdeaconry., and diocese, and deanery of Weston. The church of St. John the Baptist, situated in a valley, is a pretty stone edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, porch, and square tower (supported by four substantial buttresses) containing 5 bells; in the interior is a gallery and a handsome Norman monument; also a decorated tomb to ---- Begard, Esq. late lord of the manor, from whose family this parish derives the latter part of its name; in the churchyard is a yew tree, which was planted in the year of the Revolution, 1688. The living is an endowed vicarage, valued £130 yearly, with residence and 2½ acres of glebe land; in the patronage of the Dean and chapter of Hereford; the Rev. B.J. St. Patrick, B.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Henry Morgan, M.A., of St. Aidan's College, Birkenhead, resident curate. Here is a National school for boys and girls; the school- room and house adjoining were, by voluntary subscriptions and a grant of £50 from the National Education Society, erected upon land and with material given by the late Edward Thomas Foley, Esq., of Stoke Edith Park, in 1833. In this parish is an eminence called Shucknall Hill, from which a splendid view is obtained of the surrounding country. The population in 1861 was 372. The soil is red loam, and the subsoil marl and clay, and consists of 934 acres, which are applied to the growth of grain and other kinds of agricultural produce; hops grow most luxuriantly in this locality. Lady Emily Foley is lady of the manor and chief landed proprietor. The charities of this parish are of small annual value. It is in the Hereford county court district.


WESTON BEGGARD.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Morgan Rev. Henry, M.A. [resident curate], Vicarage
Morris Mr. Walter, Woodfield cottage

COMMERCIAL.

Bayliss John, shopkeeper, Shucknall hill
Davies Thomas, farmer, Moorend
Hackford Thomas, shoemaker
Hollings John, farmer, Hill end
Jones James, shopkeeper, Shucknall hill
Jones Thomas, mason
Leake John, Crown
Lewis William, jun. blacksmith, Shucknall hill
Lewis William, sen. Blacksmith & farrier, Shucknall hill
Morris Frederick, farmer, Shucknall crt
Pitt John, farmer, Pigeon house
Prosser Samuel, carpenter & cooper
Symonds Christopher, carpenter
Tyler Richard, farmer, Purlbrook
Wade William, farmer, Vineyard
Wood James, tailor

Letters through Hereford which is the nearest money order office.

[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in June 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]