Hide

Weston under Penyard, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WESTON-UNDER-PENYARD, a parish in the hundred of Greytree, county Hereford, 2 miles S.E. of Ross, its post town, and 16 from Hereford. The village is situated on the road from Gloucester to Hereford, and is intersected by the Hereford branch of the Great Western railway, which has a station at Ross. The principal residences are Rudhall and Frogmore House, and in Penyard Park are some remains of an old castle. The soil is loamy upon a subsoil of rock. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £560, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence The Wesleyans and Baptists have chapels. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]